Popular Posts

Saturday 12 November 2016

ANOTHER SATURDAY

By CHINWEIKE OKWU

Have you ever seen yourself
At the confluence of joy and despair?
Saturday's were sweet sad stories
I know it, I have been there
There I was dancing in the rain
You can't tell tears from raindrops
I have slept in impatience shoes
I too have paid my own dues in full
I sang a lonely song to the moonlight
I have listened to the music of mockery


For us who knew the latest weddings in town
We bought all the ashoebis and gowns
That was me catching flowers, I made a job of it
And time tossed me on its middle finger
And I still held my blood of innocence
The noose woven around the neck of luck is cut
I've cleared all the debris and dusted my heart
I've come to this rushing river to cast the coffins of the past
Today I have come into the full tide
This is the start of a task, a long journey

ANOTHER SATURDAY, I'll drown in my tears tonight
I'll bleed out my last drop of innocence
I shall say "I do" on the alter of light
I will never retire in this life long duty
In bold steps, I'm crossing new frontiers
The ring is my trophy of pride
I'll match with the dance of the glory
I've done it a thousand times in my dreams
The world must hear my own song
I must raise my light on the mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment

what is your take?